Recently, I found myself at a restaurant, needing to change my 2 year old’s diaper in the restroom. I had not idea that I should take a quick look at the table before proceeding. Better yet, always carry wipes to wipe down the table prior to use.
Have you ever seen anything like this on public changing tables? Daily Mail offered the below story from an Indiana mother’s experience with a public changing table…
“A mother has revealed the shocking truth behind the black marks left on a baby’s changing table in a public parents’ room.
Jessica Wayman, 24, who is from Indiana, took to social media to share a seemingly innocent picture showing the children’s changing area.
The table has what appears to be everyday scuff marks on its surface – but, as Jessica revealed, the reason behind them is far more harrowing than you think.
Now, the mother, who revealed on Facebook that she is also a recovering addict, hopes to warn parents around the world about the possible dangers of not cleaning the area properly before using.
‘Before putting your babies anywhere near these things, always wipe them down first. Even if you are in a hurry, even if you have a blanket to lay down,’ she warned.
‘There could be residue from heroin or meth whatever, and other harmful bodily fluids. If someone doesn’t care about themselves, I can promise you, they aren’t thinking about your kids. Be cautious.
‘All it would take is flakes getting stuck to a blanket, and the baby later putting the blanket in their mouth. Especially with all the Fentanyl out there right now, it takes a tiny amount to kill a full grown adult, it would take even less to kill a tiny baby.’
The reformed drug addict said the burn marks can often appear in changing stations located in public bathrooms and handicapped stalls.
‘Yes this is very real,’ she said.
‘Share so this can reach to as many parents, guardians and babysitters as possible. It could mean the difference between life or death or a serious life threatening injury, for a lot of innocent children and unsuspecting parents.’
After sharing the post on Facebook over the weekend, Jessica received some backlash, with a few skeptics insisting that she was fabricating the information in order to fear-monger.
Jessica later added to her original post to insist that this wasn’t the case, adding that she is a recovering addict and therefore all too familiar with the scenario that she was describing. She added that she simply wanted to share her post in the hope of encouraging parents to think twice about using a public changing table.
‘I am a recovering addict myself, which is why I made this post in the first place, to warn all the unsuspecting parents who would never think something like this when looking at a changing table,’ she said.
‘Along with people using them as tables while they shoot up, they are also often used by addicts to bust drugs out and crush them up upon.
‘It just hit me when I saw it, that the only people would know about this are addicts or recovering addicts, and I should do my part to warn other parents of the danger.
‘So again, be cautious.’
Since it was shared on Sunday morning, Jessica’s post has racked up more than 108,000 shares, with dozens of people commenting to thank her for sharing the information – while others simply expressed their shock over what the marks really are.
Indeed, although shocking, Jessica’s post is not the first time the issue of drug abuse in public changing areas has been raised.
Police in Kent, Ohio, issued a warning on Facebook in March 2017 after an officer found someone administering ‘suspected heroin and/of Fentanyl’ in a public restroom, revealing that the suspect had left blood and what was believed to be traces of a lethal drug on the baby changing table in the stall.
‘These drugs can be absorbed through the skin, and easily be fatal,’ the post warned.
‘Gas stations and other public restrooms are very common locations for drug transactions, and for administering drugs. Please be very mindful of this for your safety and your kids.’
At the time, a man who said he works for emergency medical services in Cleveland noted that it is ‘very common for these people to do this’, adding that he and his colleagues ‘see this every day’.
And it’s not just in the US where this is a problem; in 2011, researchers in the UK tested 100 baby changing tables in public restrooms, and found that 92 per vent carried traces of cocaine.”