First, let me say that I am not trying to scare parents away from letting their daugthers use tampons.  This is just a story that I saw today on Yahoo and thought its good information to have in case you or your daughters ever get ill while using tampons.  The way I understand it is that leaving tampons in too long can, not often, but can lead to Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS).  The symptoms are very much like the flu and if not diagnosed, can be fatal.  It starts with this  staphylococcus bacteria which is linked to TSS.

“Only about one in every 100,000 women who use tampons contract TSS every year, according to a study out of the University of Minnesota, and Glatt says that cases of its being fatal are rare. Still, if you or your daughter is using a tampon and you suddenly get sick, seek help. “If you are not feeling well — if you have a rash, if you have high fevers, if you are confused, go to your doctor as soon as possible,” Glatt says. And don’t forget to mention to your doctor that you are wearing a tampon, he says, because they may not immediately ask and the symptoms of TSS can be similar to those of the flu.”

The below link is a story about a 13 year old you passed away from TSS and her mother wants to share the story to warn other parents.