Safety Tips on button batteries

I recently read a story about a little girl in Oklahoma who died from swallowing a button battery.  Her parents had no idea she had swallowed the battery so when she started to get sick to her stomach and run a fever, they did not take her to the ER.  The battery ended up eating through an artery and the little girl unfortunately did not make it.

So I wanted to find some safety tips on batteries and make them available to members.

These tips are from SafeKids.org: http://www.safekids.org/tip/battery-safety-tips

The Hard Facts

Each year in the United States, more than 2,800 kids are treated in emergency rooms after swallowing button batteries. That’s one child every three hours. The number of serious injuries or deaths as a result of button batteries has increased ninefold in the last decade.

Learn the Facts about Button Batteries

  • When a child swallows a button battery, the saliva triggers an electrical current. This causes a chemical reaction that can severely burn the esophagus in as little as two hours.
  • The scary part is that it may not be obvious at first that there is something wrong, since kids can still breathe and act normally after ingesting a battery, though it may seem like your child has a cold or flu.
  • Repairing the damage from battery ingestion is painful and often involves multiple surgeries. Even after a battery is removed, kids can experience terrible side effects to their vocal chords and windpipe.

Top Tips

  • Keep coin lithium battery-controlled devices out of sight and reach of children. These include remote controls, singing greeting cards, digital scales, watches, hearing aids, thermometers, children’s toys, calculators, key fobs, t-light candles, flashing holiday jewelry or decorations all contain button batteries. .
  • Keep loose batteries locked away, or place a piece of duct tape over the controller to prevent small children from accessing the battery.
  • Share this life-saving information with caregivers, friends, family members and sitters. It only takes a minute and it could save a life.
  • If you suspect your child has ingested a battery, go to the hospital immediately. Don’t induce vomiting or have your child eat or drink anything until assessed by a medical professional.
  • Enter the National Battery Ingestion Hotline (202-625-3333) into your phone right now. Call anytime for additional treatment information.

 

2016-10-25T14:55:13+00:00January 30th, 2016|

Leave A Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.