The below story first appeared on nypost.com and discusses a tragedy involving an ecstasy drug known as “Netflix and Chill”. Carefulparents.com has another post about the slang term “Netflix and Chill” which refers to planning to hang out with someone and have sex, but this is an entirely different situation you need to be aware of.
One thing that we would like to call out from this article is that the young girl here was NOT a regular drug user and seemingly took the drugs on impulse. We think this is an important point to emphasize to kids as a way to warn them that it only takes ones mistake for them to seriously alter or potentially lose their life.
“A 15-year-old died after she took ecstasy pills dubbed “Netflix and Chill” at an end of school term party, an inquest heard.
Tragic Leah Kerry had been to visit her grandmother before going to the party with her old school friends when she collapsed.
Her friends then left her for a “considerable” time on a bench to ”sleep it off” before returning to find her unresponsive and called an ambulance, the inquest was told.
The ambulance that was sent then went to the wrong park with the same name twelve miles away, the inquest heard.
Kerry, who had recently moved from Devon to Salisbury, a city in southern England, was pronounced dead after a three-hour battle to revive her in the hospital.
On Thursday, the inquest into her death heard that she suffered a fatal seizure.
A representative from the South Western Ambulance Service Trust apologized to Kerry’s family.
But the hearing was told the ten minutes lost as a result of the mistake would not have made any difference to the outcome.
Kerry’s mother, Sarah Forbear, told the inquest that her daughter had been excited at the prospect of seeing her friends.
She added: “She was not a habitual drug user. This was an impulsive act.”
Forbear told the coroner she had dropped Kerry off at Newton Abbot railway station where she was met by a friend.
Kerry had around $30 to buy food and a train ticket to Torquay, a town 100 miles West of Salisbury, and said “Love you. Bye,” before walking away towards Courtenay Park.
But the friends went to the party at Bakers Park in Newton Abbot, outside Torquay, instead, and at 3 a.m. Kerry’s mother received a phone call from Torbay Hospital.
Doctors said her daughter was in the emergency department having taken an “unknown substance.”
She was in cardiac arrest and despite lengthy efforts to resuscitate her she never regained consciousness.
Coroner Ian Arrow said he hoped Kerry’s death would act as a warning to young people about the dangers of drugs.
He confirmed that Kerry died of MDMA (ecstasy) poisoning and said: “She had taken three pills of her own volition. This was a drugs-related death, these pills having caused a serious seizure.”
“In deaths of this nature, I hope there is some publicity to alert young people about the danger of taking drugs in the first place.
“Perhaps if someone had taken action earlier, she might have received help earlier, although I don’t think it would have been possible to save her.”
Russell Cooke of the South Western Ambulance Service Trust (SWAST) explained the delay in getting to Kerry and apologized.
He said the dispatcher had chosen the first “Bakers Park” from a drop-down menu on his screen, and had sent an ambulance to the wrong address as a result.
He said when paramedics got to the correct location Kerry’s breathing was shallow and she was unresponsive.
The SWAST said an investigation had been carried out into the handling of the emergency.
When Kerry’s friend said Kerry had taken drugs, the inquest heard, the dispatcher said: “I think you have, too.”Kerry’s friend, who had made the 999 call, had been given the wrong information over the phone about resuscitation, and “inappropriate language” had been used.
But the inquest heard that the dispatcher had been subjected to “considerable abusive language” during the 999 call.
The attitude was “hostile,” and the caller had not been forthcoming with some information because she did not want to get into trouble herself.
Cooke added: “The teenagers were naturally upset and worried about their friend.”
He said Kerry had clearly been “unwell for a while” when they got there, and the 10-minute delay had not been crucial.
Forensic pathologist Dr. Deborah Cook said Kerry had taken three of the four pills they bought from a dealer in a car park in the town center. Garbageman Jacob Khanlarian has admitted selling them the drugs and has been sentenced to three years in prison.
Cook said: “Leah was talking to herself and thought to be hallucinating. Her friends left her on a bench to sleep it off. When they returned they realized that she was unwell and made the call for the ambulance.”
“It was not the first time she had taken alcohol with drugs, particularly ecstasy.””
Cook said that by the time Kerry – a “fit, young woman” – arrived at the hospital at 3:10 a.m. on July 15, some 55 minutes after the first paramedic had arrived, she was unconscious, her kidneys had failed and her heart had gone into an abnormal rhythm. She died just after 6:00 a.m.
Blood tests showed ecstasy in her system, along with traces of cocaine and ketamine, although these could have been as a result of the “Netflix and Chill” pills being contaminated with other drugs.
Cook added: “Leah took six times as much as her friends. The number of tablets taken was excessive. There is no safe level of ecstasy.”
“When you buy a drug on the street you have no way of knowing what is in it. You don’t know if they are contaminated or not, and it is possible that those tablets were contaminated.”