This one really shocked me.  I saw a recent news story that stated that one child a month dies due to strangulation in window blind cords.  Cords are now listed among the top five most dangerous items in a home according to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission.

“The CPSC estimates that between 1996 and 2012, 1,590 children were treated for injuries, including brain damage, caused when they became entangled in these cords. Data collected by Parents for Window Blind Safety show there were 285 deaths and serious injuries during this same time period.”

Full Story